Monday 8 June 2009

Kiss Kiss

Here in Holland, it is common practice to greet family and friends with 3 kisses on the cheeks - right left right (or is it left right left??). Women usually kiss other women and men, and men kiss the women and shake hands with the men. It is often carried out on departing as well. That can be an awful lot of kissing! Apparently the 3 kisses began in the 1980s - I wonder why its started them? As a non-dutchy, I have taken up the 3 kisses when meeting my friends - most of whom are non-dutch. Many of us have no dutch heritage, so why are we doing the 3 kisses I wonder? Do we want to fit in? Do we like the social contact? Do we feel more dutch if we do? Or is just 'when in Rome' etc? I have to say I think its a lovely affectionate way to greet friends. However, I don't think you should be too free with your kisses - some people are just not so receptive and can feel a tad uncomfortable (particularly the non-dutch men who are far more relaxed with a formal and firm handshake (don't you hate the limp hands). Kiss kiss kiss from Holland.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts with Thumbnails