Thursday, 15 July 2010

a boy alone in the wind and rain

Well, it was more than a gust that's for sure.

On the way home from Luca's diving class yesterday evening at 6pm, the thunder began. The sky became darker.  I told Luca to cycle on ahead (I was pushing Ruby in the buggy) and we were just 5 mins by bike from the house.  Get home I said.  Wait for me there.  He shot off on his bike.  A few minutes later the raindrops started.  Then the skies opened, the wind whipped up like nothing I have ever seen.  The trees were bent double, branches swaying and reaching down to the ground.  In seconds we were soaked to the skin.

Ruby howled.  I raced for shelter at a retirement home across the street.   Where was Luca?  Please don't let him be in the park.  Please let him be safe. My mind was spinning.... what if, what if.  Why did I say go ahead?  After a few more minutes more I saw him cycling back, like a bat out of hell.  Soaked, crying, terrified, excited.  All at once. Thankfully he hadn't cycled through the park, but on the pavement. Still, branches had fallen before him, leaves were spiraling around him.  The three of us stood together, hugging, soaked, watching, and waiting.  "It's ok.  Mama's here. It will stop soon."  Reasurring words for little minds I hoped.

The noise was unbelievable.  It felt like the movie 'War of the Worlds' when Tom Cruise is in the garden with his daughter, watching the wind and the storm.

I dialled and redialled Huzz, eventually getting a connection on the 4th or 5th try.  He had just arrived at the house and like a knight in shining armor he came to collect us.   We piled in the car, soaked, Ruby still crying.  Luca not being able to speak fast enough trying to tell all that he'd seen.

Sirens could be heard everywhere.  Traffic was at a standstill.  There must have been some serious accidents around.  Huzz had seen an almost 'cyclone' effect on the highway, with branches, leaves, rubbish, wood etc spiralling up and up.

The worst of it lasted about 20 mins max.  The rain and wind for another 30 mins or so.

This morning I've seen trees arcoss roads.  One lying across a whole street with a car underneath.  Branches snapped from enormous oaks.   And that's just whats left today.  The Police and Fire Fighters were out in force moving trees from roads shortly after it all died down yesterday evening.

I am more thankful than I can say that my boy came back to me safely.  I will never send him on ahead again, ever.


  1. What a storm! We had one here like that two years ago, and got these things called "microbursts," like mini tornadoes - they ripped 200 year old hemlocks right out the ground by their roots! Wild.

  2. Victoria, it gave me the chills just thinking what you must have been going thru during that time. I was so happy to read that your son made it back to you safely. I have only been thru something like that once or twice before...mother nature is one powerful woman!

    Jeanne :)

  3. Oh my goodness...that whole thing must have been pretty terrifying. I'm so glad Luca was ok - it's moments like those that you have your heart in your mouth isn't it? That must have been some storm - I think we may have caught the tail end as it was so blustery here last night too. Glad you're all safe! x

  4. So scary! Glad you're all okay. You must still be in shock.

  5. Oh my how terrifying for you all. So pleased that Luca returned to you and didn't go on ahead after all. x

  6. Oh my goodness!! How scary! I'm so glad you're all OK. It's so sad to see those big, beautiful trees lying down.

  7. Very scary! We experienced a similar storm last summer. So glad you both are safe and sound!


Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts with Thumbnails